Monday, October 19, 2009

1987 Jeep MJ Comanche LWB

With my origional 1989 Jeep Comanche in not running condition when I bought my first home in 2005, I was using my nearly not running 1976 model utility trailer to haul lumber and other home improvement items around.

I had the itch for getting another Comanche, but even way back in 2005 they were hard to come by. In 2006 the house next to me got sold, and the people who moved in always had house guests. One of thier house guests was an older man who always had a different junker (and I think he wrecked each of them drunk driving)

He showed up one day in this Maroon MJ and immediatly I went outside to look. It was in pretty good shape, and he started telling me about how he got it, and that it only had 39,000 origional miles. I immediatly begged him to sell it to me, and a few weeks later on a Friday when he needed drinking money for the weekend the truck became mine.

When I got it, the left spring seat on the front D30 was rusted pretty good, the shock mount was broke off, the radiator was leaking, and the engine was very greasy and dirty. The first weekend I cleaned and buffed the entire exterior, waxed the Jeep, pulled the rubber floor liner and seat, cleaned any and all surface rust off the floor and POR15 coated it. I got a new windshield installed, and got rid of the mismatched 235x75 and 235x70 15's and put on some Walmart Wranglers on a set of black steel wheels.

A later project included an Open Rad conversion, and I pulled the valve cover and oil pan and completly cleaned out any and all material. The oil pan got replaced with a new one, and the valve cover got hot tanked and re-installed with 2 new vacume harness pieces, and a new PCV valve. I also replaced the rubber fuel lines and the fuel filter.

I also installed a Sprayed on Truck Bedliner in the bed, and picked up a good fiberglass truck cap for $50 from the bone yard.

I drove the Jeep that way for nearly 2 years (with the busted front axle)

In the fall of 2007 I sent the Jeep off to Western Area Career and Technology Center for an overhaul of sorts. While it was there it got new brakes, 1995 model D30 front, new wheel joints, ball joints, brake calipers, brake lines, rotors, brake shoes, wheel cylinders, drums, drive line joints, down pipe, muffler, tailpipe, factory catalytic converter, all fluids changed in all gear boxes, a new water pump, new power steering pump, new auxillary tranny cooler, ARB Bull Bar, 2" lift coils, rear AAL's, and repairs to the mechanical latches on the tailgate.

The students did excellent work on the Jeep in 2007, so good infact that the Jeep went back to the school in the fall of 2009 for an exhaust manifold job, a Kevins Offroad Track Bar Coversion, and a dash gauge cluster swap to get rid of the idiot lights.

Getting the MJ back from the Vo-Tech school this time has been awesome. No leaky manifold means excellent horsepower. No loose track bar means that the Jeep drives really awesome, and I was sick of the idiot lights on the old dash.

Next is going to be some body repair work, a Winch, and an electric OBA setup.

0 comments:

About This Blog

  © Blogger template 'Personal Blog' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP